Tuesday 5 July 2011

Class, big cities and modern art

There's something incredibly peaceful about going to an art gallery. Especially when the gallery is filled with amazing modern art. I'm not sure exactly what it is. Maybe it's that these beautiful works of art are huge, engulfing you into a world without clear definitions. You make up your own meaning to each piece. Maybe art galleries are peaceful because you see people completely in love with what they're seeing, silent in amazement. I've always really loved the imagery of a shadowy figure, back towards you, unmoving in front of a piece.
It's worth the money, definitely go! It's very excellent.
Here are some of my favourites.


Come on, obviously my man Jackson Pollock. I have been obsessed with him since I was a wee tot and seeing an entire room of his paintings honestly, put me to near tears. I was in there for a good 45 minutes.  Starring at Number 1A was like being in a trance. Every little stroke could be a person, an animal, an emotion. It's outstanding. This guy is a genius. You imagine your own body dancing with the painting. In fact, as I sat there, with my mouth open it was as if the layers slowly moved and swayed with me. Maybe I moved with it.








Before I went to the exhibit, I knew I loved Jackson Pollock. I didn't know I loved his wife. Lee Krasner, mon dieu. Gaea 1966 was beautiful beyond words.











Rothko.
Going into the Rothko room was amazing. The lights were dim, protecting the fragile paintings from fading out. My security guard friend, who I discussed everything from American politics to his daughter's University experience, told me that Rothko's paintings were delicate. Pieces were known to fade, the beautiful whites in bold strips often turned to a cream or yellow, destroying the original vision. It was strange to think of a painting so delicate. The thin strokes in which blocks of purple mixed with brown contrasted drastically with the previous room of Pollocks thick, dripping technique. I can't really say much about art, I just like to look at it, but the whole room was like how fragile emotions are. Raw emotions definitely came out of these. A quotation by Rothko is that he was interested in expressing "the big emotions-tragedy, ecstasy, doom". They all definitely came out.

Finally, from the Modern Expressionist exhibit Gorky. Loved three of his pieces, that were displayed as we first entered the exhibition. Garden in Sochi is pretty excellent.




Outside of the Abstract Expressionist exhibit I really liked the Modern Inuit room. Jessie Oonark is now one of my favourites. 









In love with these! Unfortunately I don't know the names of them :( Too bad.
Beautiful beautiful colours. Want them all over my house.

Anyways, get to the AGO! Bring your student card and go in the late afternoon because somedays its
FREE!
Whoo

No comments:

Post a Comment