Monday 27 June 2011

Day Two: Paddle to the Sea

I'm on a Canadian fix right now.
I suppose that's kind of strange, saying as my taste in film is usually incredibly European. Directors like  Erice, Kieslowski, Godard or Malle are my favourites that I watch most often. I can't talk much about film from my own country, mainly because I haven't watch very much of it.
However, my Mum and Uncle told me they loved this particular short. A cherished, childhood favourite of many. So I thought, on the way home from a paddling trip, I'd check it out.
                                          
Paddle to the Sea is a children's book turned movie directed by Bill Mason in the late 60s. The story begins in Lake Nipigon in which a young native boy meticulously carves a paddler out of wood. The boy dreams of journeying to the sea, but since he is unable to go himself, he creates a paddler that will venture onwards towards the Atlantic.  In the short 27 minutes in length, we see the paddler travel through the most scenic of Canadian wilderness, facing barriers that threatened an end to this journey.
The paddler, who oddly is personified throughout the film, goes through many barriers throughout his journey. Even in the biggest of barriers, however do not cease the paddlers end goal of reaching the Atlantic. When he goes over Niagara Falls, the commentator confirms that, most would think he would be destroyed by the violent waters. A sure goner. However, paddler bobs his head up and stays afloat, continuing onwards.
Paddler reaches the Atlantic, stripped of his paint and smooth from his long journey on the water. It ends as simply as it begins.
Could it be this simple though? It's almost as though, this simple film has a bigger message.
I'm tempted to sit here and write about how this film is actually about life and dreams. The good, inspiring stuff. Maybe the paddler's journey is one that many of us follow. One of hardship and toil, to eventually reach the goal. The goal of attaining our dreams.
Maybe it's not that complicated. Maybe it's simply a story about a carved piece of wood that eventually journeys through Canada towards the vast open Atlantic.
I'm not sure. This could be why it's appealing. For the grade 4 students in the 1960s and to me today trying to overanalyze it. This film is a worthy watch. Innocent. Beautiful. Maybe even a little bit inspiring.  3/5. Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment